Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spring Cleaning for Eggs?

No, I'm not proposing trading fresh organic farm eggs for someone to come spring clean my home (unless you're offering???). But, I do try to pass along good information for those trying to skew a little or a lot off the grid when I come across it. 

Recently, I noticed that my egg production was dropping off. This was interesting, as I've been adding new hens, so it should go UP. So, still learning, I decided to read about a zillion blogs, books, talk to chicken farmers, and consult the stars on what to do. The best tip - Happy chickens lay more eggs. Simple, huh? But it's true.

Ruling out the canine I busted visiting as being disruptive (I put a STOP to that immediately), I decided that I was happiest in a clean home and I"m sure my chickadees would be as well. So I started to work. Smelly, dirty, dusty work... 

I fluffed and filled the nesting boxes, dusted all the cobwebs, scraped the poo and decided to rig a poo catcher. My hoarder husband had some old window screens stored and I thought they'd be perfect to catch the poo under the roosting bars. They're easily and quickly rinsed down with a hose. 

Recycled Window Screens Make Great Poo Catchers

Buffy and Fluffy (Buff Orpingtons)were very nosy and somewhat obsessed with the broom.. I finally gave them some treats and they retreated to a corner with one of the Ameracaunas to watch me work (or were they supervising?).

Did I Just Hear Someone Cluck That I Missed a Spot?

So with a clean coop, what else do chickens needs to be happy? They are already free range, a big plus. Even the young Tetra Tints are venturing outside for some foraging and sunshine.

Tweet Munches on Apple Leftovers In The Yard
Speaking of the little girls, I finally solved the mystery of what breed they are! Tetra Tints are a Rhode Island Red/White Leghorn hybrid bred only for TSC. They lay cream colored eggs and given their heritage ought to be hardy, champion layers.

So, back to creating a happy chickatat. Clean house, room to run, and... food & water? Scratch should never be in such quantity that the hens aren't getting enough of their laying feed. It can actually cause vitamin and mineral depletion if they're fed too many leftovers. Salty foods, greasy foods, processed foods, or foods which may contain mold should never be fed to chickens. Good table scraps to pass on include fruits, whole grains, vegetables, and oatmeal.

Now that the days are longer, lighting in the coop is less necessary, however, the warmth also makes hydration and shade more important. I added another water feeder to their home, as I noticed it getting low a few times. A thirsty chicken will not lay eggs. And shade? We have lots of nice shrubs, trees, and wooded area that the girls enjoy!

Goldy and Comet (Gold Comets) and Kawalski (Silky roo) Enjoy a Shady Spot
So that's it! All that and lots of love and our eggs are already increasing. What are you doing to make your chickens a bit happier or increase egg production? Has anyone tried any chicken toys? I'm curious. Happy girls lay yummy eggs!

PS We have 3 very healthy Tetra Tints ready to go! They will begin laying this summer. $3/hen.

No comments: